Become a Candidate
Become a candidate
Each year, thousands of young women participate at the local, state and national levels, culminating in the selection of 51 national finalists who compete for the title of Miss America or Miss America’s Outstanding Teen (MAOTeen). One of them could be you!
To compete for the national title, a candidate must first enter and win a local competition where available, and then compete to represent her state at national —a process requiring hard work, talent and personal commitment. Along the way, you can learn valuable life and career skills and earn thousands of dollars in scholarships to help pay for your education. Visit our registration page to learn more and see if you’re eligible!
Why enter? Because you can…
- Gain valuable experience and develop life skills (e.g. interview skills, public speaking, interpersonal communication, social interaction, etc.)
- Earn quality scholarship funds for college and graduate school, regardless of whether a title is won
- Find new interests and discover new opportunities
- Make lifelong friendships and relationships
- Learn to set goals, follow them through and exceed your expectations
- Develop a sense of responsibility for helping others
- Foster a positive, self-motivated mindset to achieve your goals
- Receive recognition for your efforts in bettering yourself and your community
Where to start
To become a candidate, you must:
- Be between the ages of 17 and 26 for Miss Candidates
- Be between the ages of 13 and 18 for MAOTeen Candidates
- Be a United States citizen
- Meet residency requirements for competing in a certain city or state
- Meet character criteria as set forth by the Miss America Organization
- Be in reasonably good health to meet the job requirements
- Be able to meet the time commitment and job responsibilities as set forth by the local, state and national competition(s) in which you compete
Not be a candidate, titleholder, or representative of a competing program to the Miss America and Miss America’s Outstanding Teen programs
For more information on becoming a candidate, click below!